Monday 30 June 2014

The Eighties, My Eighties, No Longer My Eighties - The Saville, Hall and Harris Effect

The eighties were my decade. During the eighties I went from a bright eyed three year old to an Adrian Mole thirteen year old.

For me it will always be my decade for the unique style, be it dress, film or music; which I listen to as I write this. Ninety odd percent of music I listen to to this day was created in my decade. I still live there in a large part of my brain.

As well as the music, dress and films, there was of course the television. My television included the silly antics of It's A Knockout as people wearing bizarre costumes inevitably fell over in a comical way while Stuart Hall in his most wonderful style commentated on proceedings. Then I may have seen Jim'll Fix It, this wasn't a requirement for me, but I watched it now and again as lovely Jimmy Saville filled the eyes of young children with wonder as he gave them everything that they wanted. After school in the later eighties I would have rushed home to watch Rolf's Cartoon Club and marvelled as he hummed away as he filled us with wonder as a splodge evolved before my growing eyes into the most spectacularly drawing or painting.

Oh the wonderful Stuart Hall, Jimmy Saville and Rolf Harris.

Now one is in prison, one dead in disgrace and one about to go to be sentenced.

It fills me with tears that this, my childhood has come to this as bit by bit it picks itself apart and takes all my wide eyed wonder away.

However now as a thirty seven year old adult I think and wonder, yes my dreams of a childhood are being destroyed as a thirty seven year old adult, but that makes me the lucky one. My childhood was happy, I went through it with wide eyes and delight as I watched my TV. For those that these three evil and wicked men assaulted, their childhood was taken when they should have enjoyed it like me and that is the true horror in this very sad story.

No comments:

Post a Comment